Pico Balun – 1:1 or 4:1 Balun Kit
Complementing our growing range of light-weight products, the Pico Balun is sure to be popular. A high frequency transformer using a twisted-pair transmission line gives the desirable characteristics of small size, low weight and low loss. A tiny patch-panel allows the Pico Balun to be configured as either a 1:1 current balun or as a 4:1 impedance transformer when you build it.
The Pico balun uses high quality components for low loss operation. Building is easy with clear instructions. We also supply test resistors to allow you to check your balun before attaching your antenna. The Pico Balun pcb incorporates strain relieved attachment points for the the antenna and, importantly, the co-ax – it’s a complete feedpoint solution. The Pico Balun is rated at 10 Watts – ideal for KX-3 users.
Testing your balun before use is easy too – we supply 2 x 100 Ohm resistors with each kit for testing.
The Pico Balun is designed to be fed with RG-174 co-ax and this is also strain relieved on the PCB. While RG-174 is our recommended lightweight co-ax, RG58 can also be used.
Power rating – 10 Watts
- PCB size – 60 x 57mm (2.4 x 2.25 inches)
- Weight – 3.5 grams (<0.15 oz.) approx.
- 1:1 balun measurements (production prototype)
- VSWR < 1.15:1, RL > 24.5 dB, f= 1 MHz – 30 MHz)
- Common mode impedance:
- > 1500 Ohms above 16 MHz
- > 1000 Ohms from 5 MHz to 16 MHz
- > 600 Ohms from 1.8 MHz to 5 MHz*
- Through loss < 0.2 dB from 1 MHz to 30 MHz (measured at 30 MHz)
4:1 balun measurements (production prototype)
- VSWR < 1.15:1, RL > 24.5dB, f = 1.8 MHz – 30 MHz
*Low frequency impedance can easily be increased at build time if required – we tell you how in the instructions (thanks Dave VE7EZM/AF7BZ).